An electronic Medication Administration Record is beneficial to administer any drug administered in the hospital. That is then stored in your medical record for future reference. Until recently, this was a laborious paper-based procedure.
Our facility has adopted an electronic version of the MAR, referred to as the eMAR (Electronic MAR). This technology is a component of our core pharmacy information system. That keeps track of your pharmaceutical prescriptions’ details. The key components of this safety technology are the bar-coded armbands, bar-coded drugs, and safety checks inside the eMAR and Bar Coding software.
What exactly is EMAR?
EMAR is an electronic medication administration system that works as the main server in:
- Institutional pharmacies
- Assisted living homes
- Long-term care institutions
- Rehabilitation centers.
The program automates delivering, tracking, and re-ordering drugs and treatments at residential care homes and pharmacies safely and efficiently, saving time and money. ACC presently supports the ACC EMAR system (electronic medical administration record systems). The following are some of the advantages of the eMAR system for pharmacies and assisted living homes.
Benefits of EMAR Systems
- There is less attention on paperwork and more time spent with the patient, increasing productivity.
- There will be fewer administrative mistakes since changes will be recorded promptly;
- The documentation of a patient’s vital signs, issue lists, pain scores, and other information will be more accurate.
- Increased accuracy in medication records and other aspects of medical history, thanks to the use of medicine and other barcodes for easy scanning and reporting;
- Information to send along to patients, such as reminders about past due drugs, reports that must be completed, and more;
- A user-friendly interface that allows many people to feel at ease when using it;
- Every user can customize their settings and customizations to suit their own industry and preferences.
- Availability on both wired and wireless networks, as well as in a variety of hardware configurations, including desktop PCs, laptops, and portable devices with touch displays;
- Reporting to superiors and patients is made simpler.
How Can Barcode EMAR Technology Help Reduce Medication Errors?
- The success of pharmacy emar is the key to eliminate the danger of prescription mistakes that can cause catastrophic harm to patients.
- Each patient will be given an armband that has a bar code. There is a bar code associated with the patient’s current medical record. That contains information such as drug history, allergies, and test results. Bar code identifiers can also see on pharmaceutical dosagses that have been shrink-wrapped.
- Before a medicine is provided, the nurse or therapist scans the bar codes on the patient’s wristband and the medication to ensure that the correct patient is receiving the correct drug in the correct dose at the appropriate time.
- The program compares each medicine to the patient’s drug history as well as his or her test results. Warnings instruct the nurse to double-check, verify, and/or call the doctor before delivering the prescription. This is necessary for the situation of any conflicts or probable drug interactions.
Patient safety and identification are important considerations.
Healthcare barcode solutions aid in streamlining the patient admission procedure, tracking medicine and care admission, and identifying patients during their entire hospital stay.
Barcode wristbands are normally getting ready at the time of admission. And particular patient information is updated continuously. This can do on the basis of the needs of the individual patients who wear them. Medications, medical records, and specimen samples are all labeled with a barcode label so that physicians and nurses can quickly scan them in order to track crucial patient information back to the source.
While at the patient’s bedside, a nurse can utilize a mobile printer to make a barcode bracelet for the patient. At each medicine administration-:
- A nurse or doctor may scan the patient’s wristband
- Scan the barcode on the medication
- And the drug administration will be entered into the patient’s medical record.
You may not know that barcode technology is accomplishing it. That ensures the correct therapy is provided to the correct patient. Also helps in decreasing mistakes and increasing patient safety.
Advantages of Using the Technology
- The use of bar code identification on the patient wristband and medicine containers helps to reduce medication mistakes.
- Technology stores patient care information, such as:
- vital values
- detailed allergy
- drug interaction information is readily available to nursing personnel during medication administration.
- Provides physicians with a thorough list of their patients’ medications.
In the end, to avoid medication errors in assisted living and senior living homes, you must go with ACC’s EMAR.