While on a trip to Dubai, the best thing to do is go on a desert safari.
For one reason, a Dubai Desert Safari is one of the most popular and sought-after things to do in the United Arab Emirates. It’s because of the soft sand, dune-bashing in the desert, dreamy sunsets, and dinner at a real Bedouin camp. For my bucket list trip to Dubai, I had to make time for a desert safari tour.
BOOK A DESERT SAFARI TOUR
The company you choose for your desert safari tour should be well-known and reliable, so you want to make sure you pick one. If you’ve done a quick search on Google to see what your options are, you already know that there are more than 100 companies that offer the same thing. After I did a lot of research and looked at a lot of reviews, I knew with 100% certainty that Planet Adventure Travels was the best choice. There’s a reason they’re ranked #1 on TripAdvisor!
It was important for me to find a tour company that was on time, professional, and could handle a group of 30 people. As part of the tour, I also wanted to make sure that the quality of the tour wasn’t sacrificed, and that the sand dunes we visited were… pretty!
Evening Red Dunes Desert Safari with BBQ at Camp costs $62 per person and includes an open dinner buffet. The tour was great! Another big reason to book with Planet Adventure was that they own the campsite and don’t share it with other tour companies. What’s the point? It means that you get more attention and better service.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE TOUR INCLUDE
- Dune Bashing over the red sand dunes in the Lahbab Desert for about 30 to 45 minutes.
- When the sun goes down in the Lahbab Desert, you can go for a walk in the desert or try sandboarding down the red sand dunes.
- A real Bedouin camp experience at the Camp that is only for Camp.
The tour took us to and from our hotel. Our six land-cruisers arrived at our hotel early, and they were ready for us to get on board. The tour guides were very friendly and took care of us because we were a big group. It was easy to fit six people in the car, and we quickly became friends with our tour guide, Abbas. This is how it worked: He was so funny, played the best old-school hip-hop songs, and made the whole thing fun for us!
First, our tour guides let the air out of the tires of our land-cruiser at a rest area. Then they took us into the desert. Sometime during our trip, we could take a bathroom break or get a snack. We also had the chance to rent an ATV to start having fun in the sand. It looked like so much fun when some of our friends tried out the ATVs.
Dune bashing is one of the most unique and exciting things you can do in the desert, so if you’re healthy enough to do it, there’s no reason not to!
ACTIVITIES AT CAMP
- When you arrive at Camp, you’ll get some snacks (Arabian coffee & sweets)
- Try on some traditional Arab clothes (Abaya & Kandora)
- Camel Ride at the Camp
- Bedouin activities at Camp: henna tattoos, shisha, and posing with a falcon are some of the things they do.
- A BBQ dinner buffet with local food is served (there were both veg & non-veg options)
- At night, there is belly dancing, Tanoura, and fire shows.
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO
- It’s important to check the weather before you go: When I went, the weather was warm during the day but cold at night. If you need a sweater or a light jacket, you can get one.
- Take sunglasses and sunscreen with you when you go out.
- In order to stay hydrated, drink a lot of water. During your tour, you will be given bottles of water.
- Don’t eat for 2-3 hours before the tour to avoid nausea or vomiting from dune bashing.
- Take your camera with you. You’ll want to remember and record this unique and memorable trip.