The dust and pollution not only makes the exterior of your car dirty but also the interior. For the dashboard, cleaning is the easiest with a dashboard cleaner. There are several ways to keep the interior of your car clean which we will discuss soon.
Dirty Dashboard? Here’s how to clean a car dashboard
When you are driving with your windows open, the dust particles get in and make the dashboard and other interior components of your car. So, it is advisable to close your windows while driving through extremely dusty roads.
Then there can be liquid spills on your dashboard which is caused by you or some co-passenger when you are having tea or coffee or some cold drinks.
It is usual that your dashboard will get dirty over time and it is no big deal. But we should know how to clean the dashboard.
You can have melted candies and all other stuffs on your dashboard
How to clean a car dashboard in easy DIY steps
For this purpose, we will need cleaners, protectors and specific glass cleaners so that we don’t streak and scratch the glasses.
Tool wise- pick up some brushes and believe me they will help make the interior super clean by my suggested ways. And lastly, we will need some microfiber towels.
Preparation before cleaning
- First we will disconnect the battery as the doors will remain open and that will drain the battery.
- Then close all the windows as we don’t want to get our windows extra dirty and make cleaning difficult.
Starting the cleaning process
- Then we need to clean some of the front interiors like the center console where there are cup holders etc. Here we are likely to find many melted candies and some sticky coins.
- Now the dashboard part. First we will start with AC vents. If we clean this after cleaning the rest of the dashboard then the dust from vents will sit on the dashboard and make our cleaning futile.
Take small brushes which can dive deeper into the vents. A special type of brush is available which has microfiber fingers and is great for cleaning dust. You can use one of those.
Start brushing the vents with a vacuum nearby to suck up any dust that comes out. Then use the other end of the brush with the fingers to clean in between the fins of the AC vents.
To get deep into the vents, we can use a vacuum attachment which has long straws and then vacuum deep into the vents. Cleaning the vents will not only look better but our AC will cool better if we keep it clean.
- Next we will dust the rest of the dashboard and to do that we will use a microfiber towel with a high pile. High pile microfiber towels are good at dusting and it holds dust very well.
Instead of dusting dry, we will use plain water. Take some water on the towel and then wipe the dashboard. Simply glide the towel over the dash and the wet towel will pick up the dust.
DOn’t forget to get the dust off the infotainment screen and the surrounding areas. Also around the buttons near the gearbox with a soft brush and vacuum nearby.
Cleaning the steering
- Now we’re gonna clean up the steering wheel and the gauge bezel or the instrument cluster beneath the steering wheel.
Here, I will give you an expert tip so that you don’t scratch up the plastic glass of the gauge bezel. The first tip is, never use a tissue, a paper towel or a napkin, anything that is dry to wipe down to dust. What I suggest is using a damp microfiber towel with little pressure while cleaning.
- After we are done with getting rid of the dust, we will clean the dashboard with a cleaner. Make sure to get a cleaner which is suitable for all kinds of interior materials. We have vinyl, plastics, dials and printed buttons and metals in the interior.
Take a brush and spray the cleaner over the brush. Do not try to spray cleaners directly on the dashboard. It can spray out to the windshield and windows and cause marks.
After taking the cleaner on the brush. Brush up the dashboard and do not be afraid to saturate the dashboard with the cleaner as it is better to use more. After applying the cleaner with a brush, take a microfiber towel and wipe it off. You will be amazed at the glow and shine.
- Next we will clean the infotainment system with a microfiber towel and cleaners. Then we will use a brush for the dials and buttons and we are done.
- Finally, we will take a good amount of the protector liquid and wipe it over the dashboard. This will form a protective layer. We will be able to maintain our dashboard for years to come by repeating it.
To sum it up, the best material to clean a dashboard is using a microfiber car cloths with cleaners. We can find these products in most offline or online stores and they don’t cost a fortune.
Follow Mind Dharma for more useful insight.